Eid al-Adha is one of the many holidays that UAE and other muslim countries celebrates.
There are 2 Eid celebrations: One is Eid al-Fitr that’s the end of the Ramadan season and the upcoming one on 31st August is Eid al-Adha. It is also known as the Big Eid probably because it is usually noted as a long holiday (including the weekends). This Eid is also called as the Sacrifies Feast, in honor of Abraham who willingly sacrificed/offered his son as an act of submission to God’s command. Pretty much the same story with what we Christians have in the holy bible.
With the holiday approaching, what’s your plan?!?
You’d probably heard this question asked by many of your family and friends around here in the UAE.
As for me and Kokobear, we don’t have a concrete plan yet. Unlike last year, we headed to Sri Lanka but this year due to what happened last December, we don’t have any. But even though we don’t have a plan, I just thought of sharing a few suggestions for you, your friends and family to bond with during this holiday season.
Check these out!
1. Catch up some lost sleep – Have you ever thought that you always don’t have enough sleep? When in fact it has become psychological. We tend to complain not having enough sleep because we wake up early morning for work or school but when it’s weekend, we stay up way late at night or even until dawn, since there is no commitment the next day. hehehe I feel you! I am currently in that stage. But hey, it’s a 3 days holiday, so go ahead hit the sack now. :)
2. Stay at home and do the Karaoke – We Filipinos are known for our love of music and a Karaoke is a must activity for most of us. So take out all the chips and drinks, let’s sing it and let’s do it MY~~~ WAY!!!! haha :D
3. Try out an Emirati/Arabic Restaurant and somehow feel how they celebrate Eid – Understanding a country’s culture always includes enjoying the local cuisine and so why not look for an Arabic restaurant (roasted Lebanese chickens exempted, coz I guess we’ve all tasted that on day to day basis)… Or maybe, if you happen to know a local family, then why not visit and try to celebrate it with them!
4. Photo Walk or Enroll in a class you’re interested in – Have you noticed that the weather starts to cool down? It’s good for a photo walk now! It doesn’t require a DSLR to do that, your mobile phones could actually deliver. Take a photo and burn some calories too! Hitting two birds with one stone! :) Another option is to take a class that you’re interested in. Maybe a photography class or calligraphy and others? Very simple, just check out some nearby seminars/workshop events on Facebook or use Google!
5. Go to the beach or park – It’s a good time to spend time with family and friends by the beach, Corniche will always be open, or how about Saadiyat beach! Well, if you want to entertain your tastebuds into barbeque sessions, the parks will also be a good option!
6. Movie (cinema) or Movie marathon at home – Movies movies movies! Who doesn’t want to catch up some movies and do a marathon at home or check out the latest showing at the nearest cinema? I bet watching movie is the number one past time here in the UAE.
7. Visit Family and relatives from the other Emirates – Majority of us here in the UAE has family members staying in the other Emirates, so why not reconnect ties and bond more with them. Make more family memories to relinguish by staying at their home, or book a hotel in RAK, see some green gardens in Al Ain, or enjoy the huge Dubai mall! After all, Eid al-Adha was a family offering for God.
8. Get to know Abu Dhabi more by visiting these 10 Free Site-seeing Places. – Yes, I have recently wrote for Biggie Tips – 7 Free Site Seeing Places in Abu Dhabi and I have added 3 more to make it 10 on my own blog. :) This is quiet connected to #5 with more options though :D. Let’s try being a tourist of our own city and explore Abu Dhabi’s must see places.
9. Take a short trip outside UAE. – Three days is enough to visit the nearest country such as Georgia, Sri Lanka in our case last year, or do a 2 nights/3 days short solo trip to Armenia just like what Ms. Poet RM did. Read her story on Going Solo to Yerevan Armenia 2016.
10. Service + Fellowship with CFFL Brethren – Community life is a lifestyle, so how about service + fellowship with our brothers and sisters in the community? This is just another great way to spend this holiday more meaningful by offering time to God through service & fellowship. Check out these photos below shared by our brothers and sisters in the community. Photo credits to Bro. Wilper, Sis Joan and Sis Bevz.
These are just 10 of my suggestionson what to do during this Eid al-Adha. Maybe you could add more? Share your thoughts on the comment below.
God bless and enjoy your Eid al-Adha!